Upcoming Matches

Saturday 20th October

1stXV v Cartha QP (home), 3pm

2ndXV v Kinross (away), 3pm

Blues win tight battle
Written by John Methven   
Saturday, 17 March 2018


The Blues maintained their table top position with a hard fought and feisty win against a Peebles team which remained in contention until the end. While the pre-match snow flurries had stopped temperatures remained close to zero and a matching gusting wind testing everyone, players and spectators alike.

There was little to separate the sides behind the scrum but Kirkcaldy probably shaded the forward battle with their formidable driving maul a clear advantage. As the meteorological temperature remained low through out, the atmosphere on the pitch was any thing but frosty with referee Tom French issuing two yellow cards and three reds as the last quarter of the game threatened to run out of control as players on both teams lost composure.

Head coach Quintan Sanft readily admitted that his side had to battle to take the points. “ Peebles are a tough side and had won seven out of their last eight games. We had our work cut out to get the win. Our defence had to work really hard, especially in the second half and that's where training ground work is paying off. The second half became a bit tousy and the referee didn't help matters with some of his decisions difficult to understand”

Blues win on the road
Written by Murray Oliver   
Saturday, 10 March 2018


Conditions at Glasgow's Old Anniesland with near zero temperatures and pouring rain could not have been more unpleasant as the Blues faced a side which more often than not has proved to be a real stumbling block for them. They went into the game knowing that a win would edge them closer to the league title and preserve their lead over the chasing pack with as many as four other teams still in contention for the two places.

While the game was by some distance less than spectacular, forwards coach Kenny Fraser saw the positives in this win “The conditions were awful but credit to both teams for their efforts. Our power up front won it for us but we kept them in the game for longer than necessary by some less than clever kicking. The weather was always going to dictate the game and to get six tries said it all - we were the better team from 1 through to 19"

They started off with a bang, taking the lead within five minutes. Lock Steve Mitchell managed to rip the ball from a GHK maul to set his back line in motion. The ball sped through the hands with centre Josh Laird touching down under the bar to give Finlay Smith an easy conversion kick and a 7-0 lead.

The late Rev George Lugton
Written by Norman White   
Wednesday, 28 February 2018
The Club sadly learned of the death of former player George Lugton in Guernsey on 22 February, aged 88. After attending Dunfermline and Buckhaven High Schools where he first played rugby he enrolled at Edinburgh University, graduaing M.A. and B.D. In his early ministerial career he had a post as assistant minister at Dysart Barony Church, beginning in 1953. It was at this time that he joined Kirkcaldy RFC playing in the pack for several seasons in the mid 1950's.

He had a robust style of play, appreciated by team mates but which would not have been appreciated by present day referees. When opponents realised he was a man of the cloth they were more than surprised.

After leaving Kirkcaldy he served the Church of Scotland in a variety of positions including the parishes of Strathblane and Dumbarton as well as in the church's administration in Edinburgh. His final charge took him to Guernsey in 1987 where he also to spend his years of retirement.
Ladies kept quiet at Howe
Written by Rebecca Flanagan   
Sunday, 18 February 2018


On a dry day in Cupar the scene was set for a good game of flowing rugby from two teams who like to throw the ball about. Kirkcaldy started well by securing the kick off and taking play up the field only to be thwarted by the first of many penalties.  Howe kicked for touch where Kirkcaldy stole the ball - this was a theme that was to carry on throughout the game with Howe only winning 3 line outs during the game.

Kirkcaldy pressured for most of the half but were often penalised for varying offences by the referee.  He requested complete silence during the game, threatening to penalise, or escalate if required, should the ladies not adhere to the instruction.  This seemed to deter the game from gaining any momentum with both teams finding it difficult to gain phase play.  Late in the half Kirkcaldy were then awarded a penalty in the 22m and chose to take a shot at goal which Redpath successfully kicked, to make the score 0-3. 

Half-time 0-3 to Kirkcaldy, but some of the newer ladies to the game were struggling to find their feet and looking a bit lost due to the instruction regarding communication.

The second half started in the same fashion as the first with Kirkcaldy taking the game to the home side.  Once again, the momentum was hampered with a string of penalties dominating the proceedings.  After an hour there was a swing in possession, as Kirkcaldy were now camped on their own line for 10 minutes keeping the attack out.  An excellent turnover and a clearing kick looked as if it would relieve the pressure but the referee penalised Kirkcaldy for the kick chaser being offside, Kirkcaldy pointed out to the ref that the chaser was in fact the kicker but the decision had been made! 

Howe were awarded a penalty and took the points making the score 3-3.  Well into injury time Howe were awarded another penalty in the 22, which they successfully converted taking the final score to 6-3 for the home team.

A disappointing match to view for the spectators, no momentum at all with 50-60 penalties being conceded   Frustrating and some confusion for two teams who score on average 16-20 points a game by playing free flowing rugby.  Hopefully the return fixture in a few weeks will be a better exhibition of what both teams can produce.

Kirkcaldy take full points from Pennypit
Written by John Methven   
Saturday, 17 February 2018


Although the Preston Lodge fire was never fully extinguished Kirkcaldy's six try to one winning margin told its own tale at Pennypit Park. For lengthy portions of the game the Blues dominated territory and possession yet PL kept in touch until near half time through four well struck long range penalties from scrum half Brian Walls.

Strength in defensive basics from a well organised Kirkcaldy team kept the home team at bay throughout the first half, snuffing out their attacks in midfield on a regular basis. PL didn't help themselves with an erratic performance at the line-out where the Blues had a succession of vital steals.

Director of Rugby Mark Henderson had a broad smile on his face just after the final whistle, appreciating this bonus point win “We were in total control for over an hour of this game but they showed real tenacity, fighting for every ball. However we were strong at the back and our defensive lines gave little away. The pack did their work, really well playing as a unit, giving us plenty usable possession”

An aggressive Kirkcaldy started the game purposefully with the forwards driving to the PL line. They won a series of scrummaged penalties before hooker Greg Wallace drove over for an unconverted try and a 5-0 lead. Within two minutes this had been reduced to 5-3 with the first of Walls's massive penalties. Another monster penalty from Walls put PL into a 6-5 lea

Easy victory for the Blues 2s
Written by Ian Gray   
Saturday, 10 February 2018


The conditions for this BT Caledonia League Division 2 Midlands match were bright but with a blustering wind which was flowing in all directions.  With the senior Kirkcaldy team without a fixture on this cup Saturday attention was firmly on the second team who attracted a much  larger crowd for this important league game.

In the none too distant past Morgan were regular league opponents of the  Kirkcaldy 1stXV but have dramatically dropped down the divisions from the National League into regional rugby and even there don't have their sorrows to seek.

They came to Beveridge Park looking to overtake Kirkcaldy in the league but left thoroughly demolished and demoralised losing by eleven tries.

The first try arrived in the fourth minute from number 5 Sean Laing thanks to a lineout drive. This was one of six tries converted by stand off Craig Letham, having recently returned from Australia. The second try came six minutes later from another lineout which had initially been lost but possession was regained and flanker Craig Hamilton crashed over for the third.

Kirkcaldy dominated possession with Morgan rarely in the Blues half and after seventeen minutes winger James Barclay showed his considerable pace to go in at the corner from forty yards out to secure the bonus point. In the twenty-second minute an outstanding break in the centre from  Conar Littlejohn was finished off by fellow centre Euan Henderson. Five minutes later a magnificent steal by Owen Bonner resulted in him running in under the posts. With the first half drawing to a close, number 7 Scott Barclay drove from a lineout to get his first try of the afternoon and bringing the half time score to 36-0.

The second half started the same as the first with Bonner making a break and scoring under the posts for his second try.  A minute later James Barclay led a kick and chase to also score his second. From an attacking scrum on the Morgan line scrum half David Anderson broke and scored in the fifty-first minute. Kirkcaldy then used their bench which allowed Morgan some respite, with the visitors keeping possession for a while but the Blues defence was resilient and prevented Morgan from scoring.

After this spell Kirkcaldy regained the initiative and Scott Barclay got his second try with the final try coming from a push over. The final score was 67-0 according to the reporter but the referee gave the score as 65-0. To add to the confusion the SRU website has the score as 74-0!

This result moved Kirkcaldy into the top half of the table in fifth position, nine points clear of relegation, while Morgan sit at the bottom.

<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next > End >>

Results 23 - 33 of 55

This Week's Results

Saturday 8th September

1st XV 41 Kelso 14

2nd XV 14 Carnoustie 38

1stXV League Table

Tennent's National League Division 1

Gala 3
Aberdeen Grammar3
Cartha QP3
Dundee HSFP

View full league table on scottishrugby.org

Star Check

sponsored by
18 Links St, Kirkcaldy

Match 6 v GHA
3 Jack Pow
2 Struan Robertdon
1 Connor Wood

See Cumulative Stats for totals

© 2018 Kirkcaldy Rugby Football Club, The Pavilion, Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy, KY2 5LT

KRFC Blues Limited is a Scottish Charity, SC047751, and regulated by the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).