Upcoming Matches

Saturday 16th February

1stXV v Kelso - away, 2.30pm, National League Cup

Opening Day Win
Written by John Methven   
Saturday, 27 August 2011

Photo: Liam Neilson
Dalziel fail to stop Liam Neilson going in for the second try

Kirkcaldy's half time 6-3 lead did not reflect their territorial supremacy, although Dalziel had looked dangerous on more limited possession. The home defence was uncertain at times and the high ball bemused several defenders.. Dalziel full back Robert Simpson who had earlier kicked a penalty in response to two kicks from Kirkcaldy's Quintan Sanft missed a 39th minute penalty which would have given the Motherwell side a deserved half time draw.

The Kirkcaldy side which took the field was much changed from that which just failed to stay in P2 last spring. Injuries, unavailability, retirals and defections had all taken their toll. meaning there would be starting league debuts for Jamie Moffat, Chris Judd, Ross Girdler and Mark Graham.

In spite of their inexperienced squad Kirkcaldy started well enough with two incisive driving mauls producing a penalty chance for Quintan Sanft whose kick at goal fell short of target in the 4th minute. The stand off however made amends five minutes later with the first three pointer of the season. This lead lasted just over a minute with the referee penalising the Blues for not releasing. Robert Simpson struck a confident 35 metre kick for the equalising points.

Kirkcaldy supporters were cheering as the game went into the second quarter. Crisp handling set newcomer Chris Judd off on a 40 metre run which seemed to produce a try only for a touch judge to flag for a foot on the line a metre from the goal line.

Photo: George Mangalo
Final try scored by George Mangalo from the lineout
Dalziel responded with their best attacking spell of the match culminating in two 5 metre line-outs. They lost control at the second of them when Kirkcaldy flanker Dayle Turner stole the ball at the tail and sped away to the half way line before being grounded.

Referee Alistair Watt (Cumbernauld) had his work cut out when a mass brawl erupted at half way and involving half the players. He was in no position to see the cause of the incident and had to content himself with a warning to the captains. Within a couple of minutes he did issue two yellow cards for apparently innocuous offences. Dalziel centre John Harris was the first to see yellow and Sanft kicked the penalty to restore the Kirkcaldy lead. Just after, Kirkcaldy replacement Greg Wallace was adjudged to have made a high tackle and it was his turn to go to the bin. Simpson missed the penalty, leaving the half time score 6-3 for Kirkcaldy.

From the re-start kick home lock Stuart Porter regained the ball but Dalziel crept offside at the maul. The visiting players assumed there would be a kick at goal and turned. Kirkcaldy prop George Mangalo spotted the lack of cover and blasted his way to the goal line from 25 metres out. Sanft’s conversion made the score 13-3.

This score gave the Blues added confidence and five minutes later a sparkling handling movement which involved half the team sent No 8 Liam Neilson over the near the posts, giving Sanft an easy conversion.

Photo: Rab van Rensberg
Rab van Rensberg breaks through the Dalziel defence
Now 20-3 in front and very much in charge, Kirkcaldy concentration dipped. A lost line-out at half way gave Dalziel a chance to show their attacking skills. The ball sped from their right touchline at half way to left winger James Baxendale whose pace exposed some fragility in the Kirkcaldy defence in scoring his side’s first try which remained unconverted.

Mangalo had his second try of the day ten minutes from the end. In a well rehearsed line-out move he took a line-out tap down and charged down the tram lines for a unconverted score. The Kirkcaldy lead was now extended to 25-8 and the points were in the bag

Although Simpson slipped through for a try in the last play of the game it was no more than a consolation leaving Kirkcaldy as deserved winners.



J Moffat. C Judd, W Berry, B Dunnet, J Wilson, Q Sanft, G McKenzie, R Girdler, W Gray, G Mangalo, S Orr, S Porter, M Graham, D Turner, L. Neilson

Replacements:- G Wallace, R van Rensberg, K Littlejohn, D Frew


R Simpson, J Baxendale, G Duguid, J Harris, G McCallum, A Scott, R Donnachie, L Barclay, S Baird, G Sloan, C Simmonds, K Watters, D Picken, G Armstrong, C Reid

Replacements:-W Wylie, D Irvine, J Morrisey, R Westwood


A Watt (Cumbernauld)

FFP Star Check

3 George Mangalo

2 Stuart Porter

1 Shaun Orr

Last Updated ( Monday, 12 September 2011 )
< Prev   Next >

This Week's Results

Saturday 26th January

1st XV 27 Hamilton 24

2nd XV 3 Blairgowrie 31

1stXV League Table

Tennent's National League Division 1

Gala 3
Aberdeen Grammar3
Cartha QP3
Dundee HSFP

View full league table on scottishrugby.org

Star Check

sponsored by
18 Links St, Kirkcaldy

Match 8 v Cartha QP
3 Josh Laird
2 Finlay Smith
1 Dayle Turner

See Cumulative Stats for totals

© 2019 Kirkcaldy Rugby Football Club, The Pavilion, Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy, KY2 5LT

KRFC Blues Limited is a Scottish Charity, SC047751, and regulated by the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).